Planning is your number one priority for the Alberta Livestock Permit, Coggins, and Health Papers. Know your departure dates, provide all required information necessary to complete the paperwork, and you’ll be smooth sailing!

Livestock Identification Services Permit:

All horse owners require Permit to Transport your horse OUT of Alberta, or if hauling to an auction FOR SALE. This permit is to ensure you are the owner of the horse. British Columbia and Saskatchewan have similar permits required as well.

Types of Permits:

There are annual (effective for the calendar year) and lifetime permits (effective for as long as you own he horse, or the lifetime of the horse).

How do I get a Permit:

This permit is available through LIS. Contact your nearest Brand Inspector to make arrangements,… You’re required to have your bill of sale, and brand certification (to show you own the brand if your horse has one).


  •  $2.00 for an annual permit (calendar year)
  •  $30.00 for a lifetime permit

There is a minimum charge of $20 for the brand inspector to come to you. You do have the option to haul to a brand inspector as well, such as an auction mart. While transporting your horse in another province, crossing the border, or in the United States you can be stopped and asked to present your permit. Without his permit, you can be given a warning, money from public sales can be withheld by the brand inspector until ownership is proven, as well as lead to a fine of up to $5000.