DVS is hiring!
Associate Veterinarian (DVM)
If you are looking for a position in a busy, ever-changing environment and enjoy working with a collaborative team, we are looking for you! Delaney Veterinary Services (DVS) is seeking to add an Associate Veterinarian (DVM) to our team. DVS is a primary and referral equine facility serving the greater Edmonton area in central Alberta (52218 Range Road 223, Sherwood Park, AB). We currently provide referral services (surgery/internal medicine/reproduction) to Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia. We have a strong team of veterinarians including experienced general practitioners and a board-certified specialist in surgery. We have full time support staff as well as many part-time staff, students, externs and volunteers.
Our practice provides comprehensive services including surgery (elective and emergency), lameness, medicine, advanced reproductive techniques, general health, dentistry, chiropractic, acupuncture, rehabilitation and advanced imaging.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable doing dental procedures, basic lameness workups, emergencies, reproduction ultrasonography, and medical exams. The position also includes a rotational on call emergency schedule. This position requires the ability to communicate in English both orally and written.
We offer a competitive package with an annual salary starting at $96,817 based on experience, plus a production bonus incentive. We offer our employees a comprehensive benefit package including: extended health care, dental care, vision care, paid time off, CE compensation, clothing allowance and paid emergency fees. A commission-based compensation structure are also options.
We pride ourselves on exceptional customer service and equine care. If you would like to learn more about the position and our team, please contact Shannon Matthews at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association license
- Alberta Veterinary Medical Association license
Work Experience: Two years of hands on equine experience
Language of work: English
Equine Veterinary Internships (3x)
1. General Practice 2. Surgery/Lameness 3. Reproduction. Paid benefits, dues, C.E. and Medical equates to $67,000/year
If you are looking for a position in a busy, ever-changing environment and enjoy working with a supportive and collaborative team, we are looking for you!
Delaney Veterinary Services (DVS) is offering three internship positions, one each in General practice, Surgery/ lameness, and Reproduction starting in June 2022.
We are a large, full service, equine hospital that offers primary care to the greater Edmonton area (Alberta, Canada) and serves as a referral center for veterinarians from Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and the Yukon. At DVS we offer the opportunity to practice high quality medicine with the luxury of multiple Board-Certified Surgeons (DACVS), a Board-Certified Theriogenologist (DACT), and several other highly regarded general practitioners.
Our practice was newly built 12 years ago and boasts a fully equipped surgery suite with two recovery boxes. We perform both elective and emergency surgeries including exploratory laparotomy, arthroscopy, laparoscopy, fracture repair, and C-section. For lameness we offer a lameness locator and both indoor and outdoor arenas for performing lameness exams. We have several tools for equine rehabilitation and also fully supplied farrier shop. We have a strong reproduction program that services 200+ mares and foals out approximately 25-30 foals per year. We offer advanced reproductive techniques including embryo transfer, epidydimal flushes, embryo vitrification, semen freezing. We also commonly perform advanced dentistry, general health exams, spinal adjustment, acupuncture, rehabilitation, and advanced imaging. The hospital also carries a complete in-house laboratory.
The goal of this internship program will allow you to pursue equine practice in an intense case load environment under the direct guidance of experienced equine veterinarians.
- Duties of the General practice internship will include in-clinic patient care (surgical, medicine, and reproduction), assistance with surgery, and/or anesthesia, all aspects of ambulatory practice including lameness work-ups, castrations, dental, herd health, reproduction, imaging, ultrasonography and rehabilitation. The goal of this internship position is to gain advanced skills in general equine practice so that the candidate completes the internship as a experienced equine practitioner.
- Duties of the Surgery/lameness internship will be to shadow surgeons on cases. This role will focus on scrubbing into surgery and performing lameness exams in tandem with a supervising surgeon. Competency in anesthesia is a requirement but it is not the main focus of this position, as technicians at the practice perform the majority of anesthesia. Lameness exams will offer multiple opportunities for the interns to hone their skills with nerve/joint blocks and perfect imaging technique. Interns will also become proficient with post-operative care and rehabilitation of surgical cases. Surgical residency may be offered to the ‘fitting’ candidate.
- Duties of the Reproduction internship will include: Palpation and ultrasounding mares, assistance with stallion collection and artificial insemination, performing embryo transfer, and assistance with foaling. The goal of this internship is to prepare the candidate for entry into a theriogenology residency or private practice focused on equine reproduction.
At DVS on-call emergencies are divided amongst the clinicians and interns at the hospital. We have full time support staff as well as many part-time staff, students, externs and volunteers. Interns will be directly supervised on all emergencies until they are proficient and confident to perform afterhours duties unassisted. Throughout the internship all interns will continue to be shadowed by a senior veterinarian/ specialist who are always available by phone or to come in and provide assistance if needed. To facilitate after hours duties, we also have stall cameras for closed system monitoring of ICU cases and PIA monitor system. At the option of the intern, the hospital has a newly built (2020), premier on-site residence for interns, free of charge (pictures available on request).
Job Requirements for Internship Applicants:
- DVM/VMD or equivalent, CV, license to practice in Canada (supervised license may be accepted)
- 3 letters of recommendation
- $ 40,000 annually plus on call benefits (~$5k-$10k per year).
- Paid health/dental/prescription coverage.
- CE allowance
- Clothing allowance
- Vacation (2 week paid)- depending on staffing requirements additional unpaid time can be allotted.
- ABVMA, CVMA dues, and liability/malpractice paid for
Contact: Shannon Matthews, Delaney Veterinary Services, 52218 Range Road 223, Sherwood Park, Alberta, T8C 1B1; phone: (780) 922-3647; email: email@example.com
Prescription Refill Policy: Please call a minimum of 24 hours ahead for prescription refills or supplement orders. Thank you!